Five Points was always a mixed residential, commercial, and industrial district. Along Chatham Street (now Park Row) retail shops flourished.
Signs advertised shoes, children's clothing, furniture, restaurants, and jewelry.
An oyster house stood at 110
Chatham in 1855. Behind it the archaeologists found piles of oyster shells and the foundations of an ice house( Feature AM).
The feature was filled with the usual domestic refuse, but the large number of recovered glass tumblers suggested that a substantial amount of drinking took place on the premises.